Frequently Asked Questions
Four Winds Foundation follows a very clear funding strategy as governed by the Department of Internal Affairs and legislated by the Gambling Act 2003 and any subsequent regulations or amendments.
We realise that if you haven't applied for a grant before, or even if you have, you are likely to have some questions about whether you are eligible to receive a donation.
We have supplied a list of frequently asked questions to help you.
- Where can I get an application for funding from?
Application forms are available to members of the public at all our gaming venues our. They can also be obtained from email@example.com or downloaded from this website. Click here to download an Application form
- Are there closing dates for applications?
Applications must be received at Four Winds office by 4.30pm on the last working day of each month. Applications received by this date will be considered by the end of the following month.
- Please can you tell me the status of my application?
It is the policy of Four Winds Foundation not to give information on the status of grant applications over the telephone. Grant Applicants will be informed in writing as to whether their applications have been successful. It is acceptable to tell Grant Applicants whether their application has been received.
- My application has been declined - can I re-apply?
Grant Applicants can re-apply if their application has previously been declined. You may re-apply as many times as you wish, but you must complete a new application form each time you re-apply.
- Will Four Winds Foundation pay for overseas travel?
Four Winds Foundation will pay air fares, but not fuel, tax or surcharges. The Grant Applicant must pay for these.
- Can I purchase goods from an overseas country?
All grants must be utilised for goods and services within New Zealand.
- What if we are registered for GST?
Grants will be made GST exclusive.
- What if we are not registered for GST?
GST will be included in the grant payment.
- Does grant funding contain GST?
The allocation of funds made by Four Winds Foundation is an unconditional gift. No portion is claimed by Four Winds Foundation as a deduction for Goods and Services Tax paid. If a Grant Applicant is GST registered, only the GST exclusive amount can be funded (as GST is not a real cost to such organisations).
- Will Four Winds Foundation consider an application after the event has taken place or after items have been purchased?
Grants cannot be paid retrospectively. All grants must be applied to specific and future based purposes, e.g. a donation application must be received by Four Winds Foundation before an event is held and all unpaid future costs thereof will be considered. Deposits paid to suppliers will not be reimbursed to Grant Applicants by Four Winds Foundation. It is preferable for an application for funding to be received by our office at least eight weeks before an event is taking place.
- What if we receive funding from Four Winds Foundation and we are also successful with another gaming trust or other source?
When a society obtains information that a Grant Applicant has received funding from another source for the same purpose, the society shall require the Grant Applicant to repay any portion of the funding that exceeds the total amount required for the stated purpose.
- Is there a dollar limit to the size of an approved grant?source?
No. It is possible that Four Winds Foundation may only part-approve the grant amount requested.
- Do we have to send invoices and receipts to Four Winds Foundation once we have spent the money?
The records of Four Winds Foundation Ltd are liable for inspection by the Department of Internal Affairs and are subject to audit. Four Winds Foundation may audit applications.
There will be a request for invoices or receipts to support quotations submitted with applications. If there is a change in circumstances or costs, Four Winds Foundation should be notified in writing.
Listed below are some examples ..
- adequate audit documentation for a donation cannot be obtained
- actual costs are less than those indicated in the application
- funds are spent for other than for the approved Authorised Purpose
- there is any other irregularity in the donation process
- the Grant Applicant has received funding from another source for the same purpose then Four Winds Foundation is required to obtain a refund of the donation
- How is the Grant Paid?
If a grant has been approved then a grant payment is paid directly to the Grant Applicant's bank account. On some occasions payment is made by cheque.
- What if our club is not an incorporated society?
The club must be affiliated to an incorporated body. The participating amateur sports club must be taking part in a "bona fide" event sanctioned by a legitimate regional and national body organised as a controlling body of the sport. The organisation must also have genuine standards and rules, play or meet on a regular basis as part of a significant competition and be affiliated to a regional or national body.
- What if we are not affiliated to a regional or national body?
The participating amateur sports club must be taking part in a "bona fide" event sanctioned by a legitimate regional and national body organised as a controlling body of the sport. The organisation must also have genuine standards and rules, play on a regular basis as part of a significant competition and be affiliated to a regional or national body.
- Educational establishments
Applications received from Schools and other educational establishments must have a letter from the Head teacher endorsing the grant application.